Work address: University of Rome 3,
Department of Philosophy
Via Ostiense 234, 00144, Rome, Italy
CURRENT OCCUPATION: Full Professor for the Philosophy of Science at the Department of Philosophy of the University of Rome Three since 01.10.2005
The Johns Hopkins — Ph. D. (May 1992)
— Diploma from the Center for History and Philosophy of Science (1989)
— M.A. in Philosophy (1988)
The University of Rome — Laurea (i.e., BS+MS) in Mathematics
“La Sapienza” (27 Jan. 1993)
— Laurea (i.e., BA+MA) in Philosophy
(6 Dec. 1982)
Visiting professor at the Departiment of Philosophy,
University of Bielefeld
Spring 1996 Visiting fellow at the University of Cambridge (UK).
Fall 1995-1996: Visiting scholar at the Center for History and Philosophy of Science of the University of Pittsburgh.
Fullbright scholar at the Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. (1986-7)
Post-doc scholar at the University of Padua (1995-1997)
ACTIVITIES Editor for L&PS (logic and
philosophy of science) SINCE 2005 (http://www.units.it/~dipfilo/episteme/)
Co-editor in chief of
the European Journal for Philosophy of Science, (EJPS),
(first published by Springer, 1 issue in 2011)
Member of the editorial board of Epistemologia and Colloquium Philosophicum
ACTIVITY AS PEER REVIEWER FOR SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS:
Australasian Journal of Philosophy, Dialectica, International Studies for Philosophy of Science, British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, Epistemologia, Erkenntnis The Philosophical Quarterly, Philosophy of Science, Foundations of Physics, European Journal for Analytic Philosophy, Foundations of Science, Synthese
ACTIVITY AS PEER REVIEWER FOR PUBLISHING HOUSES
ACTIVITY AS EXPERT FOR REVIEWING APPLICATION GRANTS
Swiss National Science Foundation, British Research Council AHRS, National Science Foundation (USA),
Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO, the Dutch Research Council)
MEMBERSHIP IN INTERNATIONAL SOCIETIES
Member of the steering committee of the European Philosophy of Science Association (created in 2007). http://www.ucm.es/info/epsa07/
Co-chair of the Program Committee for the first conference of the European Philosophy of Science Association, to be held in Madrid in November 9-11 2007 http://www.ucm.es/info/epsa07/
Member of the steering committee of the International Society for the study of spacetime (Concordia University, Montreal) http://www.spacetimesociety.org/
Member of the Program Committee for the series of international conferences The ontology of spacetime (Concordia University, Montreal)
Since 2008 Corresponding member of the
Academie Internationale des Philosophie des Sciences. Nominated ordinary member in 2011.
Since 2010 Member of the Academia Europaea (The Academy of Europe) http://www.acadeuro.org/
From 2008 to 2011 member of the steering committee of the Italian Society of Logic and Philosophy of Science (SILFS)
Since April 30 2011 President of the Italian Society of Logic and Philosophy of Science (SILFS)
PUBLICATIONS IN ENGLISH
Time and Reality. Spacetime physics and the objectivity of temporal becoming. CLUEB, Bologna, 1995.
The Software of the Universe. An Introduction to the History and Philosophy of the Laws of Nature, Ashgate, 2005 (transl. from Il Software dell’Universo, B. Mondadori, 2000, see below)
M. Suarez, M. Dorato, and M. Redei (eds.), EPSA Epistemology and Methodology of Science. Proceedings of the first conference of the European Philosophy of Science Association, Springer, Dordrecht, 2 voll, 2010.
Reviews of the first book:
C. Callender (London School of Economics), The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 48, n.1, March 1997, p.117-120.
J. Faye (University of Copenhagen), “Dorato on Time and Reality”, Epistemologia, 20, pp. 355-372, 1997.
R. Le Poidevin (University of Leeds), “Relative Realities”, Studies in History and Philosophy of Physics, vol.28, n.4, 28, no.4, pp. 541-546, 1998.
Reviews of the second book
J. Roberts, Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, 37 (2006), pp. 738–744
E. Tobin, International Studies in Philosophy of Science, 2008, n.3, 230-233.
M. Schrenk, British Journal for the
Philosophy of Science, 62, 2011, 225-232
“Mathematical biology and the existence of biological laws”, in D. Dieks, W. Gonzales, S. Hartmann, T. Uebel, M. Weber (eds), Probabilities, Laws and Structure, Springer, 2011, pp.
with Matteo Morganti, Grades of Individuality, Philosophical Studies
“Dispositions and propensities in the ontology of quantum mechanics: some critical remarks” in M. Suárez (ed.) "Probabilities, Causes, and Propensities in Physics", Synthese Library, Springer, pp. 197-218, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4020-9904- 5_9, 2011.
with Carl Hoefer, “Editorial”, European Journal for Philosophy of Science: Volume 1, Issue 1 (2011), Page 1. DOI: 10.1007/s13194-011-0021-y
The Alexandroff present and Minkowski spacetime: why it cannot do
what it has been asked to do, in D.Dieks, W. Gonzales, S. Hartmann, T. Ubel, M.
Weber (eds), Explanation Prediction and Confirmation. New trends and old ones
considered. Springer, 2011, pp.379-394.
with M. Esfeld, “GRW as an Ontology of Dispositions”, in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, 2010, 41, pp. 41-49.
Physics and Metaphysics: Interaction or Autonomy?, in C. Calosi (ed), HumanaMente, http://www.humanamente.eu/, 2010.
“Why is the Language of Nature Mathematical?”, in G. Antonini, A. Altamore (eds.), Galileo and the Renaissance Scientific Discourse, Edizioni Nuova Cultura, Roma, 2010, pp.65-71.
On Various Senses Of “Conventional” And Their Interrelation In The Philosophy Of Physics: Simultaneity As A Case Study, in F. Stadler (ed.) together with D. Dieks, W. Gonzales, S. Hartmann, T. Uebel, M. Weber, The Present Situation in the Philosophy of Science, Springer, 2010, pp. 335-349.
with Felline L., “Structural explanations in Minkowski spacetime: which account of models?”, in V. Petkov (ed.) Space, Time, and Spacetime - Physical and Philosophical Implications of Minkowski's Unification of Space and Time, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 2010, pp. 189-203.
“The historicization of nature and the nomologization of the mental, or the rapprochement between the natural and the human sciences”, in E. Agazzi e C. Di Bernardo (eds.), Relations between Natural Sciences and Human Sciences. Relations entre les sciences naturelles et les sciences humaines, Special Issue of Epistemologia, 15, 2010, pp. 243-258.
“Peirce’s method of tenacity and the method of science: the consistency of pragmatism and naturalism”, in R. Dottori (ed.), Autonomy of Reason? Autonomie der Vernunft?, Proceedings of the V Meeting Italian-American Philosophy, LIT Verlag, Vienna, 2009 pp.154-164.
“Is structural spacetime realism relationism in disguise? The supererogatory nature of the substantivalism/relationism debate, in D. Dieks, The ontology of spacetime II, Amsterdam, Elsevier, 2008, pp.17-37.
Putnam on time and special relativity, European Journal Analytic Philosophy, vol.4, n.2, pp. 51-70, 2008, (with a “Reply to Mauro Dorato”, by Hilary Putnam, European Journal Analytic Philosophy, vol.4, n.2, 2008, pp.71-73)
“Dispositions, relational properties and the quantum world”, in, Dispositions and Causal Powers, M. Kistler and B. Gnassonou (eds.), Ashgate, 2007, pp.249-270.
“Review article: Relativity Theory between Structural and Dynamical Explanations”, International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, Vol. 21, No. 1, March 2007, pp. 95–102
“The irrelevance of the presentism/eternalism debate for the ontology of Minkowski spacetime”, in D. Dieks (ed.), The Ontology of Spacetime, Elsevier, 2006, pp. 93-109.
with Massimo Pauri, “Holism and Structuralism in Classical and Quantum General Relativity”, in D. Rickles, S. French, and J. Saatsi (eds), The Structural Foundations of Quantum Gravity, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2006, pp.121-151.
“Properties and Dispositions: some Metaphysical Remarks on Quantum Ontology”, in A. Bassi, D. Dürr, T. Weber, N. Zanghì (eds.), Quantum Mechanics, American Institute of Physics (AIP) Conference Proceedings, Vol. 844, 2006, pp. 139-157.
“Absolute becoming, relational becoming and the arrow of time: Some non conventional remarks on the relationship between physics and metaphysics”, Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, Volume 37, Issue 3 , September 2006, 559-576, reprinted in The Philosophy of Time, N. Oaklander (ed.), vol IV, Routledge, Critical Concepts in Philosophy, London, 2009, pp. 254-276
“The Laws of Nature and the Effectiveness of Mathematics”, in Boniolo G., Budinich P., Trobok M. (eds.), The Role of Mathematics in Physical , Interdisciplinary and Philosophical Aspects, Springer, Dordrecht, 2005, pp.131-144 (reviewed by U. Bottazzini, Il SOLE 24 ORE, Sunday 10.7.05)
Becoming, Events and the Ontology of Quantum Physics, in Buccheri R., Elitzur A. and Saniga M. (eds.), Endophysics, Time, Quantum and the Subjective, Singapore, World Scientific, 2005, pp.273-289.
“On the technological and theological roots of the notion of “law of nature”, in Dio, la Natura e la Legge, God and the Laws of Nature”, in E. Sindoni and S. Moriggi (eds.), Proceedings of the international conference Villa Monastero, Varenna, Italy, 11-13 Ottobre 2004, Angelicum, Mondo X, 2005, Milano, pp. 155-169.
“Why are (most) laws of nature mathematical?”, in Faye J., Needham P., Scheffler U. and Urchs M. (eds.), Nature’s Principles,. Springer, Dordrecht, 2005 pp. 55-75.
“Becoming and the conventionality of simultaneity”, in Dottori R. (ed.), Reason and Reasonableness. Vernunft und Vernünftigkeit, Lit Verlag, Münster, 2005, pp. 47-69.
“Epistemic and non-Epistemic Values in Science”, in P. Machamer and G. Wolters (eds.), Science, Values and Objectivity. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh-Konstanz, 2004, pp. 53-77.
(27) “Cognitive Norms, the Methodology of Science and the Naturalization of Ethics”, in R. Egidi, M Dell’Utri, M. De Caro (eds), Normatività, fatti e valori (Normativity, facts and values), Analisi Filosofiche, Macerata, 2003, pp. 1163-172.
(28) “How legitimate is to talk about an evolving or a becoming universe?” in S. Colafrancesco, G. Giobbi, (eds.) Cosmology Through Time, Mimesis, Milan, 2003, pp. 247-253.
(29) Imprint Academic, 2002, pp. 339-369.
(30) The Question of the Reality of Time and the Model-Theoretic Approach to Scientific Theories”, in Logique et Analyse, 164 (1998), 313-325. (published in 2002).
with J, Faye, “Causation, Mental causation and the Laws of
Nature”, in L&PS (Logic and Philosophy of Science), on line journal,
“On Becoming, Cosmic Time and Rotating Universes”, in C. Callender (ed.), Time,Reality and Experience, Proceedings of the Royal Institute of Philosophy Conference for 2000, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2002, pp. 253-276
“Kant, Gödel and Relativity”, in P. Gardenfors, J. Wolenski, and K. Kijania-Placek (eds.), In the Scope of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Proceedings of the Invited Lectures for the 11th International Congress of Logic Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Synthese Library, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 2002, vol. I, pp. 331-348.
(34) “Measurability, computability, and the problem of the existence of theoretical entities”, in E. Agazzi and M. Pauri (eds.), The Reality of the Unobservable, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 2000, pp.207-217.
(35) “Substantivalism, Relationism, and Structural Spacetime Realism”, Foundations of Physics, 2000, 30, pp. 1605-1628.
(36) “Facts, events, things, and the ontology of physics”, in J. Faye, M.Urchs, U.Scheffler (eds.), Things Facts and Events, Poznan Studies in the Philosophy of the Sciences and the Humanities, 76, 2000, pp. 343-364.
(37) “Becoming and the Arrow of Causation”, Philosophy of Science, 67, 2000, pp. S523-534.
(38) “The conflict between a static and a dynamic theory of time in its relation to von Wright’s work and to human freedom”, in R. Egidi (ed.), Study of Mankind in the Philosophy of Georg Henrik von Wright, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1999, pp. 131-138.
(39) “Cao on Substantivalism and the Development of 20th Century Field Theories”, Epistemologia, 22, 1999, pp.151-166.
(40) “Time, relativity and the spatiality of mental events’, in Language, Quantum, Music. Selected Contributed Papers of LMPS 95, a cura di M. L. Dalla Chiara, R. Giuntini, F. Laudisa, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1999, pp. 197-207.
(41) “Three Views on the Relationship between Time and Reality”, in J. Faye, U. Scheffler, M.Urchs (eds.), Perspectives on Time, Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science, vol. 189, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1997, pp. 61-92.
(42) “On Becoming, Relativity, and Nonseparability”, Philosophy of Science, 64, 4, 1996, pp.585-604.
(43) “Ontological Determinateness in Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity”, in Garola C. and Rossi A. (eds.), The Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, Dordrecht, Kluwer, 1995, pp. 201-211.
(44) “Objective temporal becoming and spacetime physics”, Proceedings of the triennial congress of the Italian Society of Logic and Philosophy of the Sciences (SILFS), held in Lucca on 7-10 Jan. 1993, ETS, Pisa, Italy, 1994, pp. 367-383.
(45) “The problem of the relationship between time and motion from Descartes to Newton”, in S. Tweyman (ed.), Studies in Early Modern Philosophy, Caravan Books, Delmar, New York, 1993, 3, pp.127-156.
(46) “Methodology of science as a branch of ethics?”, Methodologia, 10, vol.VI, 1992, pp. 14-35.
(47) “The world of the worms and the quest for reality”, Dialectica, 42, 1988, pp. 171-182.
(48) “The frequency theory of probability and single events”, Epistemologia, 10, 1987, pp. 323-334.
(49) “A new role for philosophy in scientific revolutions” (review of Di Salle’s book Understanding Spacetime) Metascience, 17, pp.61-64, 2008.
(50) Volume 34, Issue 1, March 2003, pp. 154-158.
(52) Review of John Earman’s Bangs, Crunches, Whimpers, and Shrieks, in British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, vol. 49, n. 2, June 1998, pp. 338-347.
(53) Review of M. Lange, Introduction to the Philosophy of Physics, Blackwell, 2002, Il SOLE 24 ore, Sunday 23.XI.2003
PUBLICATION IN FRENCH
(54) “Dispositions, propriétés relationnelles et monde quantique ”, M. Kistler and B. Gnassonou (eds.), Causes et dispositions, Presse Universitaires de France, Paris, 2006, pp.195-219.
(55) “Aristote au pays des quanta”, in Science et Avenir, Hors-Serie n 148, October-November 2006, p. 41.
PUBLICATIONS IN ITALIAN
(56) La legge di natura. Analisi storico-critica di un concetto, (Laws of nature: a Historico-Critical Analysis of a Concept), G. Boniolo and Mauro Dorato (eds.), McGraw Hill Italia, Milano, 2001.
(57) Cosa c’entra l’anima con gli atomi? Introduzione alla filosofia della scienza, (What has the soul got to do with atoms? Introduction to the philosophy of science), Laterza, Roma-Bari, 2007.
(58) with Allori, V., Laudisa, F. Zanghì, N., La nature delle cose. Introduzione ai fondamenti e alla filosofia della fisica (The Nature of Things. Introduction to the foundations and philosophy of physics). Carocci, Roma, 2005.
(59) Il software dell’Universo. Saggio sulle leggi di natura. Bruno Mondadori, Milano 2000. (translated in English by Ashgate: see 2 above).
(60) Futuro aperto e libertà. Un’introduzione alla filosofia del tempo, pref. di R. Bodei, (Open Future and Freedom. An Introduction to the Philosophy of Time, with a preface by R. Bodei), 1997, Laterza, Roma Bari.
(61) Modalità e temporalità. Un raffronto tra le logiche modali e le logiche temporali. (Modality and Temporality. A comparison between modal and temporal logic). Il Bagatto, Roma, 1994.
Reviews of Futuro aperto e libertà:
· Michele di Francesco, “Libertà di movimento”, Literary Supplement to Il Sole-24 Ore, 20 luglio 1997, p. 26.
· Giovanni Boniolo, “Futuro aperto e libertà”, Le Scienze, Novembre 1997, p.117.
· Alberto Oliverio, “I ricordi tra regole biologiche ed elaborazioni soggettive”, Corriere della Sera, 21 Dicembre 1997, p. 29.
· Franca D’Agostini, “Ieri e domani via col tempo”, Tuttilibri, supplemento a La Stampa, 26 febbraio 1998, p.6.
Reviews of Il Software dell’Universo
· M. Di Francesco, “Il software che fa girare la realtà”, il Sole 24 ore, 14.01.01.
· intervista a L. Gabaglio “Alla scoperta delle leggi di natura”, Sapere, Dic. 2000, p.86-88.
· L. Massacra, “Il software dell’universo”, Mediamente, 31.01.01.
· F. Cimatti, “Quel che ci dice il lessico dell’universo”, Il Manifesto, 26.05.01
· E. Castellani, Le Scienze, Ottobre 2001
· V. Ascheri, ( ), novembre 2001
Somenzi, l'altruismo e i "pesci sentinella": alcuni ricordi personali,
in Vittorio Somenzi. Antologia e Testimonianze. Fondazione Banca
Agricola Mantovana, pp.381-383.
(62) Tempo e divenire tra fisica e metafisica (Time and Becoming between Physics and Metaphysics), intervista di Laura Felline, in Human-Mente, vol. 8, Jan. 2009, pp. 207-214, http://www.humana-mente.it/Volume8_Models.of.Time.pdf
(63) “Dalla filosofia della scienza alla filosofia delle scienze” (From the Philosophy of Science to the Philosophy of the Sciences), in Sapere, Ottobre 2010, pp. 12-19
(64) “Dalla freccia di Lucrezio all’ascensore di Einstein: alcune considerazioni sul ruolo degli esperimenti mentali nella scienza” (From Lucretius’arrow to Einstein’s elevator: some remarks on the role of thought experiment in science), in Esperimenti Mentali (a cura di R. Casati A. Jacomuzzi, P. Kobau), Rivista di Estetica, n.s. 42, 3, anno 49, 2009, pp.21-37.
(65) “I due tavoli di Eddington, ovvero l’immagine scientifica del mondo e il mondo della vita” (Eddington’s two tables, or the scientific image of the world and the world of life”),, in A. Peruzzi (ed.), Pianeta Galileo 2008, Centro Stampa del Consiglio Regionale della Toscana, Firenze, pp. 81-87.
(66) Ha senso parlare di “basi biologiche” della morale? (Is it meaningful to talk about the biological basis of morality?”) in B@belonline/print, a cura di M. T. Pansera, n. 5, 2008, p. 209-215.
(67) “Determinismo, libertà e la biblioteca di Babele” (Determimism, freedom and babel’s library), in Prometeo, Anno 27, 105, Marzo 2009, pp.78-85
(68) “Brevi considerazioni sull’inevitabilità del conflitto fede-ragione” (Brief Remarks on the Inevitability of the Confict between Faith and Reason), in Scienze e Religioni, a cura di Rafael Pascual e Raffaele Pisano, UNI Service – TRENTO, 2008, pp.123-129.
(69) “Tempo della mente e tempo della materia. La natura del presente e la teoria della relatività”(Mental Time and Material Time. The nature of the present and the theory of relativity), in C. Esposito e P. Porro (eds.) Quaestio 7/2007, La materia, Die Materie, Matter, Brepols Publishers, Belgium, pp.489-503.
(70) “L’ossessione dello scientismo” (“The Obsession of Scientism”), Micromega, Almanacco di Scienze, 3, 2008, pp. 79-90.
(71) “Uno sguardo al tempo fisico” (“A glance to physical time”), in G. Borio e C. Gentili (eds.), Armonia, Tempo. Storia dei concetti musicali, (Armony, Time) Carocci, Roma, 2007, pp. 305-319.
(72) Entry “La teoria della relatività” (Theory of relativity), in Historia. La grande storia della civiltà europea, a cura di U. Eco, L. Barletta, M. A. Bazzocchi, A. Ottani Cavina, G. Corbellini, P. Corsi, L. Marconi, E. Raimondi, L. Spaziante, Federico Motta, Milano, 2007, vol 5, Il Novecento, pp. 409-501.
(73) Entry “Filosofia della Scienza” (Philosophy of Science), in Historia. La grande storia della civiltà europea, a cura di U. Eco, L. Barletta, M. A. Bazzocchi, A. Ottani Cavina, G. Corbellini, P. Corsi, L. Marconi, E. Raimondi, L. Spaziante, Federico Motta, Milano, 2007, vol. 5, Il Novecento, pp. 423-426.
(74) “Einstein e la Relatività” (Einstein and Relativity), in Filosofia e cultura, (a cura di A. La Vergata e F. Trabattoni), vol. 3b, La Nuova Italia, Firenze, pp. 110-120.
(75) “Wertbeziehung e Wertfreiheit nella filosofia della scienza contemporanea”, (“Wertbeziehung e Wertfreiheit in contemporary philosophy of scienceI, in Bene navigavi. Studi in onore di Franco Bianco, a cura di M. Failla, Quodlibet Studi, 2006, pp.39-48.
(76) “Il dibattito tra compatibilisti e libertari tra metafisica e pragmatica: perché si deve abbandonare la prima per abbracciare la seconda.” (The debite between compatibilists and libertarians between metaphysics and pragramatics: why should we abandon the former to endorse the latter), in Le ragioni del conoscere e dell’agire, a cura di R. Calcaterra, Quodlibet, Macerata, 2006, pp.267-276.
(77) “Il dibattito tra compatibilisti e libertari tra metafisica e pragmatica: perché si deve abbandonare la prima per abbracciare la seconda.”, in Le ragioni del conoscere e dell’agire, a cura di R. Calcaterra, Quodlibet, Macerata, 2006, pp.267-276.
(78) “Perché l’università merita un’altra riforma”, (Why the University deserves another reform), Darwin, September 2005, pp.64-65.
(79) “Che cos’è la filosofia della scienza?” (What is philosophy of science?), Analysis, 3, 2003, pp.15-22 (this is a slightly modified version of the on-line essay (39).
(81) in “Linee di ricerca”, e-book in progress edited by L. Floridi, .http://www.swif.it/bibliotecna/lr/intro.php
(82) “Nella Fisica sta tutta la realtà”, Recensione (review) di M. Lange, Introduction to the Philosophy of Physics, Blackwell, 2002, Il SOLE 24 ORE, Domenica 23.XI.2003, p. 34.
(83) “Leggi naturali e libertà” (Natural Laws and Freedom), in Nuova Civiltà delle Macchine, XIX, 4, 2001, pp.76-88 (published in September 2002)
(84) “Filosofia della scienza” (Philosophy of science), in F. D’Agostini, N. Vassallo (eds.), Storia della Filosofia Analitica (History of Analytic Philosophy), Einaudi, Torino, pp. 223-249, 2002.
(85) “Popper e la fisica” (Popper and Physics), in Reset, 72, July-August 2002, p.88-90.
(86) “Il positivismo e l’uniformità della natura: le leggi in J. S. Mill”, (Positivism and the Uniformity of Nature: Natural Laws in J.S. Mill), cap. 7, in G. Boniolo e M. Dorato (eds.), La legge di natura. Analisi storico-critica di un concetto, McGraw Hill Italia, Milano, 2001, cap. 7, pp. 181-208.
(87) With G. Boniolo, “Introduzione”, in G. Boniolo e M. Dorato (eds.), La legge di natura. Analisi storico-critica di un concetto, McGraw Hill Italia, Milano, 2001, pp. XIII-XVIII.
(88) “Sapere scientifico-tecnologico e sapere filosofico”, in C. dal Canto e M. Paoli (eds.), Filosofia ed etica di fronte allo sviluppo scientifico tecnologico, ITIS, Pontedera (PI), 2001, pp.79-92.
(89) With P. Quintili e C. Stancati, “Filosofie della natura” (Philosophies of Nature), Bollettino Filosofico, Dipartimento Filosofia dell’Università della Calabria, 2001, pp.454-469.
(90) “Tempo e causalità mentale” (Time and Mental Causation), Rivista di Filosofia, 90, 3/1999, pp. 417-437.
(91) “Determinismo, caso, libertà: in difesa del compatibilismo”, (Determinism, Chance and Freedom: in defense of Compatibilism), Paradigmi, 51, 1999, pp.547-569.
(92) “Novecento Fisico” (20th-Century Physics), in Novecento, Novecenti, a cura di E. Agazzi, La Scuola, Brescia, 1999, pp.249-273.
(93) “Il tempo analizzato: origine e significato della metafora del flusso del tempo”, (Origin and Meaning of the Metaphor of the Passage of Time), in Nuova Civiltà delle macchine, 17, n.1 (65), 1999 pp. 28-37.
(94) “La causalità fisica e il principio di causa comune” (Physical Causation and the Principle of Common Cause), Sistemi intelligenti, 11, n. 2, 1999, pp. 207-229.
(95) “La natura del tempo” (The nature of time), Montag,1998, 4, pp.99-113.
(96) “Chi ha bisogno di una fisica computabile della mente?” (Who needs a non-computable physics of the mind?), V. M. Abrusci, C. Cellucci, Roberto Cordeschi, V. Fano (eds.), Proceedings of the Third Meeting of the Italian Society for Logic and Philosophy of Sciences, 1998 V. M. Abrusci, C. Cellucci, Roberto Cordeschi, V. Fano, Pisa, ETS, 1998, pp. 245-254.
(97) “Tre fili di Arianna per il labirinto del tempo”, (Three Ariadne’s threads for the labyrinth of time), in Storia e Filosofia della Scienza. Un possibile scenario italiano. (History and Philosophy of Science. An italian possible scenario), E. Bellone, G. Boniolo (eds.), Milano, Fotolito Sebi, 1998, pp.69-78.
(98) with Giovanni Boniolo: “Dalla relatività galileiana alla relatività generale” (From galileian relativity to general relativity), in G.Boniolo (ed.), Filosofia della fisica, Bruno Mondadori, Milano, Italy, 1997, pp.5-167. (“Philosophy of physics” (other authors of the book include S. Bergia, G. Boniolo, M.L. Dalla Chiara, G.C. Ghirardi, R. Giuntini, and M. Pauri). The sections that I have written are “Tempo e simultaneità”, “Il paradosso dei gemelli”, “Fisica e geometria”, (Time and simultaneity, The Twin Paradox, Physics and Geometry).
(99) “Tempo e nonseparabilità nella fisica relativistica”, (Time and nonseparability in relativistic physics), paper presented at the Congress on the Foundations and Philosophy of Physics, held on 27-29 September 1994 in Cesena and Urbino, in V. Fano (ed.), Fondamenti e Filosofia della Fisica, (Foundations and Philosophy of Physics), Accademia Nazionale di Scienze Lettere e Arti, Società Editrice “Il Ponte Vecchio”, Cesena, 1996, pp.147-161.
(100) “La teoria della relatività e l’identità del mentale e del fisico” (The special theory of relativity and the identity of the physical and the mental), paper presented at the first congress of the Italian Society for Analythic Philosophy (SIFA), held in Genova on 12-15 October 1994, in C. Penco e G. Sarbia (eds.), Alle radici della filosofia analitica, Atti del primo convegno di Filosofia Analitica, Genua, Erga Edizioni.
(101) “Il problema del realismo tra meccanica quantistica e relatività speciale” (The problem of realism between quantum mechanics and special relativity), Epistemologia, 19, 1996, pp.133-176.
(102) “Aspetti epistemologici del concetto di tempo”, (Epistemological aspects of the concept of time), Nuova Civiltà delle Macchine, Anno 13, n. 1-2, 1995, pp. 99-111.
(103) “Sapere come e sapere perchè”, (Knowing how and knowing why), Technological Review, italian edition of the MIT journal, 74, Dec. 1994, pp. 36-39.
(104) “La realtà del futuro e la relatività speciale”, (The reality of the future and the special theory of relativity), Rivista di Filosofia, 85, 3, 1994, pp. 383-409.
(105) “Il dibattito Mill-Whewell e la prima legge di Keplero”, (The Mill-Whewell debate and the first law of Kepler), Nuova Civiltà delle Macchine, 25, 1989, pp. 68-76.
(106) “Come nascono le teorie scientifiche”, (The origin of scientific theories), interview with Mary Hesse, in Prometeo, 11, Sept. 1985, pp. 94-100.
(107) “Scienza ed arte”, (Science and Art), Prometeo, 12, Dec. 1985, pp. 155-157.
(108) “Creatività e scoperta scientifica” (Creativity and scientific discovery), Sapere, Dec. 1983, pp. 48-52.
TALKS AND INVITATIONS TO INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIA AND CONGRESSES
26 April, the University of Konstanz
4 December University of Athens, On natural laws, workshop with Steven French
20 November University of Bonn, On time and existence in special relativity
19 October Presentation at the European science foundation conference, Dreibergen-Zeist, Holland
15 April Presentation at the conference Metaphysics in Science, Dubrovnik
2 April Talk on Causal Power and Disposition in HotelSonloup, Les Avants, Lousanne, for the Congress Causation in Biomedical sciences. Philosophical and Historical aspects.
7, 8 9 May Presentation at the Conference Pragmatism and Naturalism, Tilburg, The Netherlands
11 June Presentation at the conference Time and the Universe Tau (Montreal)
13 June Presentation at the 3rd Conference The Ontology of Spacetime, Concordia Montreal
15-16 September Presentation to Conference organized by the Academie de Philosophie de Sciences on Natural and Human sciences
19 December Commentator of D. Dieks paper at the meeting European Science Foundations, Vienna, Section Philosophy of Physics
29-31 Marzo “Do dispositions and propensities have a role in the philosophy of quantum mechanics?”, 15th UK and European Meeting on the Foundations of Physics, University of Leeds
10-11 September Connecting objective becoming with the conventionality of simultaneity, presented at the Boston Colloquium for the Philosophy of Science: Italian Trends in the Philosophy of Science
9 October Congress of the Italian society of logic and philosophy of science (SILFS) (Commentary to Carlo Rovelli’s paper)
17 October Participation to the congress Autonomy of Reason? Rome
27 October Conference to the Festival della scienza (festival of science) Genoa
6 November International conference in honor of H. Putnam
29 November Seminar in Louvain la Neuve on the role of mathematics in laws of nature
30 November Seminar in Bruxelles on Becoming in physics and psychology
8-11 June Presentation at the Second conference on the Ontology of spacetime, Montreal, University of Concordia
14-18 June Presentation to the first Congress of History of Philosophy of Science Society in Paris (with Marcello Montibeller)
6-7 October Presentation at the conference Probabilities, Causes and Propensities in Physics (Universidas Complutense, Madrid)
13-14 October Presentation “Structural spacetime realism and the evaporation of the substantivalism-relationism debate” for the meeting “Physics meets Philosophy at every scale”, Parma
17-21 January Presentation at the conference Endophysics, Time, the Quantum and the Subjective, Zentrum für Interdisziplinäre Forschung, Bielefeld
27-31 August Two presentations: one at the European Congress for Analitic Philosophy; the other at the special symposium Quantum information and philosophy”, both held in Lisbon
5-10 September Congress in Losini for the 70th birthday of G.C. Ghirardi
7-8 May Presentation at the conference “The Arrow of Time in Physics and Philosophy”, organized at the l’ULB of Louvain, Belgium, by Michel Ghins on account of the European Science Foundation
11-14 May Presentation at the conference The Ontology of Spacetime, held at the Concordia University, Montreal, Canada. For this conference I have contributed to evaluate the submitted papers and to organize the sessions
15-19 July Presentation at the conference “Time in the Natural sciences” at the Center for Time at the University of Sydney
11-13 October Presentation at the conference “God and the Laws of nature”, Varenna, Italy
29-30 November organization of the workshop Time in Physics and Philosophy
May 8 Seminar at the Dept. of Phyisics at the University of Florence:
“Why are most laws of nature mathematical?”
25-29 August: Talk at the International conference on the relation between mathematics and physics,Lussino, Croazia
8-11 October : Conference at the meeting “Reason and Reasonableness”
26-28 November: The nature of scientific explanation University of Milano “Bicocca
19-21September Presentation of a paper at the international meeting organized by Paris X Nanterre e and by the Ecole Politecnique on Causal Power and Dispositions
3-6 October Sixth meeting of the Pittsburgh-Konstanz colloquium at the University of Pittsburgh
28-30 November Commentator at the IX meeting of the Italian-Spanish philosophy
24-27 May: “Language Rules and Laws of Nature” The 5th Baltic Workshop on Logic and Philosophy of Science.
4-8 June: Invitation to present “Determinism, Chance and Freedom, at the international congress on Determinism, Tegernsee, Freiburg
17-21 June: History and philosophy of cosmology (Monteporzio)
28 June: Seminar at the Institut für Grenzgebiet der Psychologie und Psychohygienie (Freiburg)
Talk at the PSA 2000 meeting in Vancouver
Talk at the meeting of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy
Talk at the meeting on the philosophy of time at the London School of Economics, for the Royal Series in Philosophy, 2000
20-26 August, Congress of the Logic Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Cracow, Poland
Invited lecture on the philosophy of space and time for the philosophy of physics session
PSA 98 meeting in Kansas City, USA
Participation to the symposium Special Relativity and Ontology; (the title of my paper is “Becoming and the arrow of causation”), co-symposiasts J. Balashov and S. McCall, commentator R. Clifton.
23-25 September Bologna
Italian congress of the society for analytic philosophy.
17-20 April. Triest, Italy
Invitation to present “Gödel’s two relativistic arguments for the ideality of time” at the international conference organized by the SIFF (Italian Society for the Philosophy and the Foundations of physics).
5-8 September, Leeds, England
Invitation to present the paper “Mental causation and the reality of tenses” at the congress of the ESAP (European Society for Analytic Philosophy).
19-26 May, Castiglioncello, Italy
Commentator in the section “Space and Time” to John Norton’s and Andreas Bartel’s papers, presented at the annual meeting of the Fellows of the Center for History and Philosophy of Science of the University of Pittsburgh.
14 May, Cambridge, England
“The tensed theory of time and spacetime physics”, paper presented at the Department of philosophy of the University of Cambridge.
29 September 1995, Pittsburgh
Talk for the Lunchtime Colloquium Series “On Becoming, Relativity, Nonseparability”.
19-25 August, Florence
“Becoming in Minkowski spacetime”, presented at the 10th International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of science in the section philosophy of physics.
24-28 May, Parma Italy
“Measurability, computability and the existence of theoretical entities”, presented at the International congress of the Acadèmie de Sciences.
18-21 May, Poel, Germany
“Three views of the relationship between time and reality”, presented at the Internation congress on the philosophy of time, organized by J. Faye, M. Urchs and Scheffler.
19 e 26 November, Vienna, Austria
Two seminars on Tarski’s indefinability theorem within the course held by prof. Herbert Hrachovec of the University of Vienna on Gödel’s incompleteness theorems (Gödel Unentscheidbarkeitsbeweis).